Thursday, February 14, 2008

Word of the day: Imputrescible

On the "other" blog I wrote, in part, about the joys of serendipity that the printed word has over digital. Such was the case the other day when I was searching for the definition of a word and stumbled across imputrescible.

adj. not liable to decomposition or putrefaction; incorruptible.
It's from the Latin putresc(ere), to grow rotten.

Example? The last thing one could characterize Roger Clemens' testimony before Congress this week was that it was imputrescible.

2 comments:

Brian Santo said...

For the first time in my life, I came across the word "putrescible" (in an article in the February Harper's).

I didn't have to look it up.

Plate o' shrimp.

Greeley's Ghost said...

There are no coincidences.

Contributors


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.